Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook Review Page 4 of 5 | SheSpeaks

• moo77hb By  moo77hb
    09.26.11

My mom really didn't teach me much about cooking as I was growing up. I was always in a million extra curricular activities and was off doing something. So when I finally settled down and got married I had no idea what to do. My mother in law actually bought me the Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook as a Christmas gift and it is the gift that keeps on giving. Not only did I learn how to complete some basic recipes but it also talks about how to set a table and what you should have stocked in your home. I have been married 13 years now and I still use this very same cookbook for recipes and inspiration. I would be lost without it!

• frugalrufox By  frugalrufox
    09.20.11

From a beginner cook to a gourmet chef, anyone can benefit from this wonderful cookbook. Easy-to-read and full of color illustrations, this red and white checked cookbook is the GO TO of all who want to prepare delicious food. My mother's faded red and white checks are still going strong in HER kitchen! Thanks for teaching me with BHG!

• rwatts123 By  rwatts123
    09.20.11

My life, and kitchen, would NOT be complete without this cookbook. I inherited my mothers and used it so often that the spine fell apart. I was devasted but kept using it while trying to keep the pages in order. Finally I had to give up and recycled it. That very same day I got a present from my mother who had sent me a brand new BH&G New Cookbook (Breast Cancer Awareness volume). What a lovely day. My kitchen will never be without a copy.

• hlite1973 By  hlite1973
    09.18.11

This is the ONLY cookbook to go to for the basics. My mother bought me a new one after I bought my first house and she still has the one her mother used for years. These are the recipes I grew up with and this is the cookbook I used to learn how to "read" a recipe with my grandmother and mother. So simple and easy to follow, no exotic ingredients or techniques here. Just plain good cooking, helpful hints and great pictures. Every kitchen should have this book, even for those folks who say "oh I don't cook" - trust me - you need this.

• jacdoh By  jacdoh
    09.18.11

This is my "go to" cookbook for basics. It has all the basic recipes like frosting or whipped cream that everyone should have as well as easy to follow meal and dessert recipes. I love that it has illustrations of many recipes to help inspire me. My favorite thing, though, is that it is a fantastic cookbook to teach my kids the basics of cooking. I even bought it for my dad and he loves it!

• stef42678 By  stef42678
    09.17.11

This is one of the first cookbooks I ever bought and it is still the most used. I love that it has meals for every occasion and easy to follow. The recipes are great and it has all the useful information you need to cook if you are not a pro. This is a book that is a must have for every kitchen.

• vanel46 By  vanel46
    09.17.11

There are only a couple of things that I grew up watching my mom use that I still have, and this Better Homes Cookbook is one of them, she taught me that when you learn the basics of cooking you open your kitchen up to a world of culinary delights. It's the best gift you can give someone.

• tlcccr By  tlcccr
    09.17.11

Have used this cookbook for about 15 years. I love it and use it often. It has some of the best and most dependable recipes.

• pottery By  pottery
    09.17.11

Great resource! Fun cookbook with innovative recipes.

• apriln32 By  apriln32
    09.16.11

i love love love this book i cook from it all the time my husband bought this for me as a gift and wow i have used it alot everyone should have one of these in there kitchen :)

• timcar By  timcar
    09.16.11

This is the best every day basic cookbook, every kitchen should have this in their cupboard. I use this one all the time for many different recipes whether it is banana bread, cole slaw or chicken marsala, it so tired and worn that the pages are coming out. As a matter of fact, my mother has this exact same cookbook. Whenever anyone asks for a cookbook recommendation, this is the one I tell them.

• rdiamondp By  rdiamondp
    09.16.11

This cookbook should be a staple in everyone's kitchen. I use this cookbook so much mine is falling apart at the binding. Everything you need to know about the basics of cooking is in this cookbook. I grew up using this cookbook with my mother and when I got my own home my mom gave me a copy of this cookbook for my home. I use this cookbook cooking with my duaghter now and when she gets her own home, I will be giving her a copy of this cookbook also. That's the great thing about this book: not only is it useful, it also creates family traditions.

• dkrutt By  dkrutt
    09.16.11

This is my favorite cookbook. I own many cookbooks and love to cook and bake. This is my gold standard that I turn to for classic recipes that I want to turn out perfect. It has all the basics, helpful cooking tips, recipe conversions and more. I have owned and used this for 20 years and still love it. I highly recommend this for a shower gift, someone just learning to cook, or someone who loves to make big family holiday dinners. You wont be dissapointed

• sandramburns1959 By  sandramburns1959
    09.16.11

I have used this cookbook for over 30 years. I check out the newer versions from the library, but mine that I have had for 33 years is my kitchen staple. My mother used this, and when I got married I purchased my own copy. It is now tattered and torn, and held together with rubber bands. I do get the updated recipies from the newer versions, and photocopy them. This cookbook is excellent for both experienced cooks and novices. The recipies are easy to follow, and the additional information in the back, like the test kitchen tips, and charts on how to cook certain items like vegetables, Also the meal planning guides and nutrition guides, table settings, calorie guides make this a must have for any kitchen.

• okiegirl03 By  okiegirl03
    09.16.11

My mother has her copy from the 1960's and I have a copy from when I got married in 1998. I just love it. I have learned so much. The basics on cooking meat to delicious desserts. I always find a dish to make to bring to a church dinner. Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook is the best.