Sara Gruen Water for Elephants | SheSpeaks

• Pistachio Pistachio
    04.25.13

The movie (urgh, Robert Pattinson) kind of made me not want to read the book, to be honest with you. However, I picked the book up one day, after a couple of friends had recommended it to me. I decided that I was so bored that I thought, "Okay, you know what? Whatever. I've got time to kill anyway", so I started reading it. Water for Elephants is amazing. It's so beautiful and poignant and clever. There are several spots where I nearly cried. I had no idea the circus could be so..... ridiculous, and such an exciting life. The main character is a passionate voice, with a fully developed history, and his narration is so witty. I loved it. However, *warning there is a sex scene.* Just.... prepare yourselves. Although I'll bet this is nothing compared to 50 Shades of Grey. ;)

• grneyz By  grneyz
    03.03.09

I loved the beginning. I haven't been floored by such a well written intro in a long time. I love the ending, too. This was so good I immediately passed it on to my mother. Fantastic!!!

• momsaver1 By  momsaver1
    02.24.09

LOVED IT! We read it as part of our book club - what a great read! I read ALOT of fiction and I still remember this story line over a year later!

• k_to_the_t By  k_to_the_t
    02.20.09

I got this book on a whim and absolutely adored it! It was one of those reads that I didn't want to put down or to end. But when it did, it was perfect. I know it's selected for a lot of book clubs, but it's a great choice to read on your own as well.